Foxhound

slunnie
Site Admin

Foxhound

Post by slunnie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:25 am

Ute2 is nearing completion and its time to start thinking about what next.

There have been a lot of thoughts going through my mind and to a fairly large extent I've been influenced by the work of Sam Overton. I'm inspired by his thinking and development and interestingly enough he seems to be pulling ideas from Ute2 for a covert project which he is working on.

To tell the story, Sam built a crazy Range Rover, uted it, put Dana44's under it and wheeled it like there was no tomorrow. When the body was spent he then replaced the body with a SWB LandRover Series IIa body and fitted 42's. Now thats a truck I really like!

As it evolved even further, the Dana44's were replaced with Unimog axles with the wheelbase extended from 100" to about 112" and a Ford Windsor and New Process set of gearboxs fitted and moved rearward to make the famous and exceptionally competitive MogRover.

What seemed to have been learnt from this later resulted in the development of Lockless which was a Defender based truck, with a Rover 3.9V8 ZF LT230 mounted 450mm rearward to improve the weight distribution, mounted on hybrid Rover/Toyota axles and 37" tyres.

Its a combination of these things that I'd like to look at in the next project.

Perhaps
IIa body - ute cab or converted panel van.
Defender 110" chassis
Mid mount V8/Auto/LT230 - LS1/TH/LT230 pref or 3.9/ZF/LT230
LC80 rear axle
Hybrid LC60/80/GQ high pinion front axle
Linked front suspension 2 lower, 1 upper + Panhard
Relinked A frame rear suspension or per front
Tyres undecided - around 40-42"
Registered....
Cheers
Slunnie

Discovery II "Storm" ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute

slunnie
Site Admin

Re: Foxhound

Post by slunnie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:03 am

And so it begins!

Another SeriesII cab tray. Not a hint of rust in this thing anywhere!!!

Holden 6 cylinder motor with a driveline that needs some service, but the body is sensational!

Here is a sneak peak at this stunning ebay barnyard find from Willow Tree NSW.

Cheers
Slunnie

slunnie
Site Admin

Post by slunnie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:04 am

Well, the good and bad news is that there was plenty of discussion about this ol' jigger on AULRO. It was one of the last Series IIa, including the 6cylinder motor etc. There were quite a few that were adamant about it not being carved up into a fun machine.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that ol' Foxhound is now destined to get fixed up. It wont be a restore job, but more a get it going and looking good project.

On the flip side, many of the proposed mods can probably very easily (a relative term) get transferred across to Ute2 when the time is right. I am liking the Orange Lockless though!
Cheers
Slunnie

slunnie
Site Admin

Post by slunnie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks Bob!

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-ii-iia ... ost1192240

Vehicle 34712523H, engine no 34524020B 6 Cyl Chassis Cab, Salisbury Axle, supplied 22.5.72 in a batch to the Grain Elevator Board, Registration No EIC129, fitted with Dunlop RTM (Road Track Major) tyres, keys 916 and 701.